Friday, January 17, 2014

A message for my radiant friend


























It was just over a year and half ago that Anasofia and I began to become better friends. We'd always been quite cordial, a "Hi" here and there, but never close. In this moment now, I consider her one of my best friends. Her and I get each other, and though we are so different we celebrate each of our special uniqueness -I celebrate her for who she is.

Recently, her boyfriend (fantastic guy) who is a friend of mine sent me a request for my favourite poem and a message for her for a book he planned on putting together as her Christmas present with all her close friends' favourite poems. I don't really have a favourite poem, but the one I sent is definitely one of my most cherished.  I'd like to share with you all what I wrote for her because after I wrote it, I paused for a moment and thought, 'Wow. This is profound!' To my wonderful friend, out and about travelling the world before she begins her studies in International Law, a jubilee here for you.


All the particles in the world
are alive and looking for lovers.
Pieces of straw tremble in the
presence of amber.
His teacher’s death unleashed a torrent of ecstatic poems.
Lovers, it is time
for the taste of fire.
Let sadness and your fear of death
sit in the corner and sulk....
The sky itself reels with love.
There is one being
inside all of us, one peace.
Poet, let every word tremble its wind bell.
Saddle the horse with great anticipation
When we are dead,
seek not our tomb in the earth,
but find it in the hearts of men

-Rumi

My message:

My dearest Anasofia,

I once read that when we read the writing of another, it is like having a conversation with them. When I read Rumi, I feel like 
I am talking to an enlightened being, one who knows. I believe that one of our greatest purposes on this earth is to know. What 'know' means to each different person, well that's entirely up to us. I think 'know' means a great deal of things -to get to know another human being, letting someone in on our own know, asking a question so that we may know... growing to learn the deep know that lies within us all. 

We are all on a journey, my friend, and you are on a special one indeed. When life turns a little darker, know, for knowing allows us to touch the deepness within ourselves. When life is so bright, it hurts our eyes, also know, for knowing is like the pair of funky glasses we never knew we needed. They allow what we see and do to be seen by us as the magical acts that they are. 

Touch that magic, and you are connected to all. Go forth into the world my wonderful friend, and come back more radiant than you already are.

Love and light, 
Anth xx





























Anthea