Thursday, December 26, 2013

You are Stars!



It was Christmas day and the time had come for family annual traditions to be lovingly carried out. The tradition being handing out cookies to hospital staff at our local hospital to thank them for working and to wish them a Merry Christmas. It's a tradition my mom started a few years ago, and since then I've become the driving force for us to keep going. Christmas and charity are tied and the combination blesses us all with the gift that is joy, the joy of generosity and the joy of receiving.

This year I decided on Donna Hay's vanilla sugar-cookies, and they turned out so beautifully!







The final result, and a special message for the fantastic human beings.













We arrived at the hospital for the late shift and we began handing out the cookies to all the staff; paramedics, secretaries, nurses, doctors, pharmacists, cleaners and even security guards.












The ER guys were the first we went to, and they were so happy! 
One of them said that nobody had ever done something like that for them. Wow. I am so blessed to be the first.





























































I'd visited the same ward last year, and the ladies remembered me! I'm so glad!



(Chuckles) These ladies were sitting with their feet up on the table, bored out of their minds when I knocked on their door. 
It was such a treat to see them light up when I gave them our thanks and Christmas wishes -not to mention the cookies!



We finished our rounds and the wonderfulness of giving and kindness to others just filled me with warmth only a holiday could hold. 

Each smile brightened the world a little more, because they are stars. 


I am so grateful to my mother for starting the tradition. 
It is such a special part of Christmas that my mom and I do together. 











What would our world be like if every person went out and gave their thanks to their local hospital on Christmas day? The general manager thanked us for taking time out of our day to do something special for them. I invite all of you to find some way to make a difference in someone's day next year -it is really a rewarding practice.


"Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving. Reach out. Share. Smile. Hug. Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself." 
— Og Mandino


Anthea