Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pushing the Envelope

The world is filled with all types of conventional artists. Painters, sculptors  potters, photographers... They may be highly skilled, and I'm not denouncing an inch of their talent, but now in this day and era it is time to push the envelope. Carpenter/Pencil sculptor, Dalton Ghettie has done just that in a jaw droppingly amazing way.



Is this not absolutely unbelievable? Ghettie has been a graphite artist for 25 years and as a child would give presents of personalized carved pencils and wood to his friends.  



He has once spent a total of two and a half years on one piece! A usual sculpture will take several months. He even admitted,"It would drive me mad when I would be just a bit too heavy-handed and the pencil’s tip would break. I would get very nervous sometimes... I decided to change the way I thought about the work – when I started a new piece my attitude would be ‘well this will break eventually but let’s see how far I get. It helped me break fewer pencils, and although I still do break them, it’s not as often”





 “The interlinking chains took the most effort and I was really pleased with it because it’s so intricate people think it must be two pencils”


“I don’t make any money from it but that’s not what it’s about for me. However, I would love for a gallery owner in England to fly me over to put on a show,”

If I owned a gallery, he'd be my first exhibition.

Anthea
P.S If you know of any artists pushing the envelope too, write me comment and I'll check them out!