Saturday, January 22, 2011

Phew! Now THAT was a work-out. . .

Oh wow. . . This morning I officially went to my first aerobics class, and boy was that an aerobics class.
It's not that I'm unfit, it's just that I'm training for a special something of mine that I will reveal soon enough.

Anyway, back to the class: I went in 5 minutes before and watched the kind of people that walked in.
There were the young socialites, little old ladies - that have probably been friends since they were my age -, one or two guys that were trying to convince themselves that taking this class was not feminine, and of course the 40 year olds in denial.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being 40, or any age below or above that, but it's a nickname that I find quite fitting to the group of middle aged ladies that walked in.

We started doing some warm ups and most of us were doing alright. Then the infamous song "Beat it" by Michael Jackson came on, and suddenly 'most of us' turned to a half and half. We began hectic aerobics that would tire even the fittest person alive. "Up and down and lunge and down!" the trainer shouted.  

The young socialites in their skimpy tops and designer label gym pants were all trying to keep face, but in truth they were fighting to stand upright.
The little old ladies were actually doing a lot better, and didn't hide that at times they needed a rest.
The few men of the class had recovered from their moment of self-doubt and were actually doing very well. 
And finally, the 40 year olds in denial. Now what these ladies had that the others didn't was that they were split up in two groups.
Group 1, as I call them, were mothers to whom this class was obviously the highlight of their week. They were fairly fit and like the little old ladies, didn't hide when they were tired.
Group 2 were unmarried or just simply married with no kids and were convinced that if they could do this class when they were 20, they could do it now. They were having a very hard time keeping up and constantly checked their watches for the end of the class.

I, on the other hand was having a blast! I've been working my way up to going to aerobics for a while and today I did it. It was everything I expected. Tiring and hard, but fulfilling and energising at the same time.
I walked out with a face as red as a sun dried tomato, and my legs felt like spaghetti but in the end it was worth it.
Oh, and just in case we both have forgotten, part of my New Year's Resolution was to get healthy and fit. Today was a step in the right direction. Yes!

Today's pictures are of a typical aerobics class and it's typical aerobicers(Is that even a word?):


Young Socialites

Little old ladies

Men Aeribicers

40 Year olds on denial (Group 1)

40 Year olds in denial (Group 2)
Anthea (P.S. Do any of you do aerobics or something like it? I'd love to hear what you do.)